★Art & Design Research
★1955 in art
- Enrique Tabara obtains an Ecuadorian government scholarship to study in Spain.
- Archibald Prize: Ivor Hele – Robert Campbell
- John Brack – Collins St., 5 pm
- Carroll Cloar – My Father Was Big as a Tree
- Salvador Dali – The Sacrament of the Last Supper
- Willem de Kooning – Composition
- Oswaldo Guayasamín – El ataúd blanco
- Jasper Johns – Flag
- L. S. Lowry – Industrial Landscape; A Young Man
- René Magritte – The Mysteries of the Horizon
- January – Opening of the Family of Man exhibition at MOMA, New York.
- Le Mouvement exhibition is held at the Galerie Denise René.
- 21 January – Jeff Koons, “kitsch” artist.
- 2 February – Madi Phala, South African artist
- 14 March – Beverly K. Effinger, painter.
- 29 July – Dave Stevens, American illustrator and comics artist
- 15 November – Sergey Voychenko, Belarusian artist and designer
- date unknown – Alexander Sokolov, sculptor
★1956 in art
- Le mystère Picasso, a French documentary film, shows Pablo Picasso
- William Klein publishes his photo essay New York, 1954–55.
- Archibald Prize: William Dargie – Mr Albert Namatjira
- Kate Greenaway Medal – Edward Ardizzone for Tim All Alone
- Pietro Annigoni – Portrait of Elizabeth II
- Alexander Calder – Red Mobile
- Salvador Dali – Living Still Life
- Max Ernst – L’oiseau Rose
- Helen Frankenthaler – Eden
- Rudolf Hausner – The Ark of Odysseus
- Eduardo Kingman – La Lavendera
- L. S. Lowry – The Floating Bridge
- Candido Portinari – Self-portrait
- This Is Tomorrow, Whitechapel Gallery, London – British Pop art
- January 19 – Junpei Satoh, Japanese Western-style painter
- May 25 – Andrea Pazienza, Italian comics artist
★1957 in art
- Chicago’s Lithuanian community opens the Čiurlionis Art Gallery.
- John Lennon enrols at Liverpool College of Art.
- Archibald Prize: Ivor Hele – Self Portrait
- Maurice Boitel – The Hens
- Paul-Émile Borduas – Étoile noire
- Arthur Boyd – Dreaming Bridegroom 1
- Yves Klein – Aerostatic Sculpture (Paris).
- L. S. Lowry – Man Lying on a Wall; Portrait of Ann
- Isamu Noguchi – Endless Coupling
- Clyfford Still – 1957-D No. 1
- January 27 – Frank Miller, comic-book artist
- April 3 – Yves Chaland, French cartoonist
- August 7 – Mark Bagley, comic-book artist
- August 9 – Rick Leonardi, comic-book illustrator
- November 26 – Félix González-Torres, Cuban artist
★1958 in art
- Archibald Prize: William Edwin Pidgeon – Mr Ray Walker
- Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Allied Arts Medal – Louis Archambault
- Robert Frank publishes his photographic essay The Americans
- Jean Arp retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City
- Constructivist Design at the Galerie Lambert Weyl, Paris
- Paul Cadmus, Night in Bologna
- 4 May – Keith Haring, American artist and social activist
- 8 September – Reiko Terashima, Japanese manga artist and illustrator.
- 5 December – Julio Galán, Mexican artist
★1959 in art
- Archibald Prize: William Dobell – Dr Edward MacMahon
- Salvador Dalí – The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus
- Ivan Generalić – The Deer Wedding
- Lee Krasner – Cool White
★1960 in art
-Launch of Nouveau réalisme movement
- Archibald Prize: Judy Cassab – Stanislaus Rapotec
- Prix de Rome (for painting) – Pierre Carron
- M. C. Escher – Ascending and Descending
- Barbara Hepworth – Figure for a Landscape and Archaeon
- Yves Klein – A Leap Into The Void
- Ceri Richards – Cathedrale Engloutie
- Will Roberts – Woman with Cup of Tea
- Norman Rockwell – Triple Self-Portrait
- Jean Tinguely – Homage to New York (self-destroying sculpture)
- Andy Warhol – “Campbell’s Soup”
- 13 March – Joe Ranft, magician, animation storyboard artist, and voice actor
- 22 December – Jean-Michel Basquiat, American artist